Find your path in health care. Banner Health is committed to not only providing the finest care possible, but to advancing the way care is provided. To achieve our vision, we seek out professionals who embrace change and who possess the passion and skills to make it happen. Apply today.
Banner Health is looking for a part-time Clinical Laboratory Assistant to work in the Horizon Lab located in Loveland, Colorado. This position will work Saturday, Sunday and Mondays from 7a-5p. Qualified candidates will have at least 6 months of experience. Our mission is to improve patient lives one test at a time!
There are immense opportunities for our staff to cross train and learn and grow their careers as much as possible including customer service, phlebotomy, specimen processing, laboratory tech, MLT and MLS.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Horizon Laboratory is committed to providing convenient, high-quality out-patient laboratory services at several locations in Loveland and Greeley, Colorado with plans to expand these locations. Our highly trained staff consists of more than 140 laboratory personnel including business associates, medical technologists, phlebotomists, and lab assistants dedicated to providing timely information essential to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease. Horizon Laboratory is a licensed Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments facility.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for the collection, receipt and processing of biological specimens, proper entry into the computer system, preparation of samples for analytical testing, and/or distribution of these specimens to the proper analytical area. This includes culture set-ups, slide preparation for staining and quality control set-up and documentation. This position may perform specified analytical testing as assigned. This position may perform duties associated with blood donor registration services.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs basic technical processes as assigned, based on specific department requirements. Processes and prepares patient samples as required. Demonstrates an understanding of the computer systems used in the department. May perform basic maintenance checks on laboratory equipment. Demonstrates awareness and complies with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements related to their area of responsibility.
2. Performs specimen collection and patient preparation, ensuring correct patient and specimen identification and specimen integrity by using appropriate techniques as required. Aliquots and labels specimens according to established departmental procedures and practices, delivers specimens to the technical area in a timely manner and/or performs initial processing and preparation of samples for transport.
3. Enters data associated with specimen collection, including patient information and diagnostic test information, into appropriate systems to ensure accurate documentation and billing.
4. Focuses on quality by assuring that all work performed is accurate and complete. Initiates computer generated reports as required for patient reporting and quality assurance monitoring. Completes documents legibly and accurately per site protocol. Maintains familiarity with departmental procedures. Uses appropriate documentation to record communications.
5. Maintains laboratory equipment. Maintains clean, safe work environment and makes appropriate reagents/bleach. Performs other technical support functions as determined by the department. Trouble shoots routine problems within their area of responsibility.
6. Assists with inventory management and ordering of supplies. Recognizes and provides input towards opportunities for improvements in financial performance, to decrease costs, improve productivity, and improve service.
7. May perform assigned patient testing, including, but not limited, to EEG, EKG, spirometry and pulse oximetry. May perform collections for drug and alcohol screening, following chain of custody protocols.
8. May be assigned daily oversight of staff workflow, operations, financial activities, and safety and policy standards.
9. Primary contact is with patients, under the direction of the provider and/or clinical supervisor. Internal customers: employees within the organization. External customers: patients and family members, physicians, physician office staff, and other healthcare professionals.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge and 6-12 months of clinical laboratory experience.
Applicable licensure attainment within specified period of time and completion of an approved phlebotomy course or six months on-the-job training in state of practice may be required in accordance with applicable State regulatory requirements. May be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company auto insurance policy.
Ability to perform detailed work; work with frequent interruptions, multi-task, problem solve and memorization, Ability to take direction and assimilate instructions quickly. Good organizational skills are also required Must be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Bachelor's Degree in related field of science.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R3270
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.