WORK TYPE: Full time .9 FTE 72 Hours Biweekly Payperiod 40W Overtime Plan
Provides nursing care to Life Flight and Emergency Department patients. Follows and adheres to Act 37 standards and protocols. Meets the qualifications to provide care for patients in the specific age range on their assigned
clinical area. Meets the qualifications to provide care for patients from birth to 100+
years age range on their assigned clinical area.
Performs duties to provide the highest level of patient care and maximize patient
Works under supervision of the Life Flight Program clinical leadership team, Program Director, and Medical Director.
Accepts an assignment at any Life Flight site as directed by leadership to insure adequate staffing.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
Demonstrates good organizational skills and effective communication skills.
• Demonstrates good organizational skills and effective verbal, nonverbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrates excellent clinical nursing skills, knowledge, judgement and leadership in an independent and uncontrolled environment
• Demonstrates ability to be confident, personable, self-motivated, and function with tact and poise in stressful situations
• Demonstrates ability to make rapid and clinically accurate decisions and provide innovation under adverse conditions
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• For Registered Nurses with less than five (5) years’ work experience as an RN, a BSN degree is required or enrollment in a BSN program within 12 months of hire date with BSN degree completed within 4 years of hire date is required (GMC department of nursing standard)
• For Registered Nurses with more than 5 years of work experience as an RN in an acute/inpatient capacity, a BSN degree is not required
, BSN degree is preferred
• BLS, ACLS and PALS required upon hire as well as PHRN and a specialty certification (CCRN, CFRN, CCRN, CTRN), & NRP renewed every 2 years
• STABLE are required within 6 months of hire
• CFRN credential within 1 year of hire.
• Duration of on-the-job training to become familiar with job duties varies by individuals work area
• Successful completion of Life Flight training program
• Minimum three years’ experience as a registered nurse, including minimum three years’ experience in critical care setting (i.e. ICU, CCU, ED, PICU, NICU, Flight) required.
• Prehospital care education and experience preferred
• Trauma Certification required within one year of hire and renewal every 4 years CAMTS (Commission of Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems) Either: ITLS (International Trauma Life Support) ,PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support) , ATLS (Advance Trauma Life Support , ATCN (Advanced Trauma Nurse) or TNATC (Transport Nurse Advanced Trauma Course)
• HazMat R&I or Hazmat for Healthcare providers required
• EVOC recommended but not required unless employee is hired for the CCGT.
o EVOC required for staff operating Life Flight ambulances
All Life Flight employees that are directly involved in patient care or the direct transport of a patient are required to have successfully pass N-95 respirator fit testing as a condition of employment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Must be in excellent physical and
mental health with no physical limitations to working aboard aircraft.
Crew members must be able to wear a program provided flight helmet with NVGs. Crew members do the have option to purchase a program approved alternative helmet that is compatable with GMC's NVGs.
Employee cannot exceed 275lbs in weight in flight gear.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
GEISINGER MEDICAL CENTER: (GMC), located Danville, Pa., the largest tertiary/quaternary care teaching hospital in the region, is licensed for 475 beds, including 89 pediatric beds in the Janet Weis Children’s Hospital. GMC, a Magnet Hospital, maintains the region’s only Level 1 Regional Resource Trauma Center with additional qualifications in pediatrics. GMC offers an array of highly specialized medical and surgical services, including neurosciences, cardiovascular services, transplantation, women’s health (in the Women’s Pavilion), oncology and orthopaedics. The Hospital for Advanced Medicine serves as an integrated center for the most critical patients. Outpatient services are available on and off campus.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.